Mapping Barcelona (6)

•El Ejido Barcelona (Tlahualilo de Zaragoza), Durango, Mexico

Population: 7
Elevation: 1,100 m.

El Ejido Barcelona is a town belonging to the municipality of Tlahualilo de Zaragoza in the state of Durango. Located at 1,100 meters above the sea level. It has 7 people: 5 men and 2 women, and 3 houses. It is but a ghost town, and prosperous market town, now only ruins remain decrepit.

Old water paradise. Other time was one of the largest producers of watermelon and cantaloupe in the country. Now only the remnants of a community that migrated from lack of water and drought, despite the construction of an irrigation system. It belongs to a series of properties that from 1891 to 1900 and began to found with names and other references peninsular Spanish provinces because of Spanish investors were concessions to exploit the land. Properties as la Providencia, las Rosas, Adán, Eva, El Zacate, El Zorrillo, Córdova, Valencia, Toledo, de la Tijera, de San Julio, San Francisco de Horizonte y Lucero, Horizonte, Arcinas, de Ceceda, Iberia, Madrid..

Of all the properties there is no trace of the original property. Only Tlahualilo village, which is the municipal seat, retains ownership of the offices of the Compañía española. El Ejido Barcelona was a place that lived 77 people with all possible comforts, and one of the most prosperous in the region. Celebrated as patron saint on March 18. So much water was now nothing … In the rainy season it is almost impossible to get there by car from the winding and earth chewy. If it is best to get rained on horseback, vehicles get stuck.

Mexico 1606

This is an interesting (and often despised) map of New Spain in 1606 by Hondius and Mercator. It covers the viceroyalty granted to Hernán Cortés after the conquest of the Aztec empire. This map is influenced by Ortelius map of 1579. Displays a combination of mapping known and speculative elements. Mexico City appears in the center-right as it was surrounded by water at the time of the conquest. The coast and mining regions in the north and west, and Lake Chapala (Chapalicum Mare), for example, are drawn with precision and rigor. However, when further north, in the sparsely explored, mapping becomes more speculative. The great inland sea to the north-west islands draws clearly drawn from indigenous legends.

Tenochtitlan

In his letters to the Habsburg Emperor Charles V, king of Spain, the Spanish conqueror Hernan Cortes exalted deeds and describe the population and the wonders of the new territories he had conquered. This map, published with letters of Cortes, gave the Europeans the first image of the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan. Although in ruins at the time of the publication of the map (1524), the island city, the district Aztec ceremonial center, has a mystical aspects of order and certainly enigmatic. The smaller map on the left represents the Gulf of Mexico.

 

Tlahualilo de Zaragoza

The original inhabitants of Tlahualilo Zaragoza were the tribes of the marjal, salineros, toboso, cocoyomes, tarahumaras and tepehuanes. These tribes lived around the lagoon known as Laguna del Caiman and Tlahualilo Lagoon. Baron Humboldt, scientist and historian, described as an island Tlahualilo lagoon in his work on the New Spain.

1851: The Spanish nationality Ibarra brothers along with a handful of men founded the first town in the northwest of what is now Tlahualilo, discover sulfur mine by name and give this place “The Lord of the Agony.”

In 1888 the family settled in the territory of the property of the La Campana. La Campana was the first to produce crops. Note that this property was built by the British Company that took possession of these properties at the end of the nineteenth century. Initially it was planned for the Spanish Company, but this could not pay the loans that had contracted with the Bank of London of Mexico. The goal of the company was to build 33 properties on Spanish agricultural workers and employees participate confidence. But it was just a project.

1895: Between 1891 and 1894 found numerous properties. Crop lands are opened to the properties of Providencia, Rosas, Adam, Eva, El Zacate, El Zorrillo.. Missing the last four, Barcelona, ​​Cordova, Toledo and Valencia, the latter also disappeared because of the cost water consumption.

1896: The Spanish saw the need for a strong hiring blacks, between 700 and 1,000 families who worked in the cotton harvest: up to two and a half million tons. For gastrointestinal diseases foreigners began to die, other people left, many were returned to the United States, primarily in Oklahoma, where they were originally.

The British Company, made what was the first work of irrigation: A channel which started from the left bank of the river Nazas at the height of which was the property of San Fernando. In this work we used 2,000 men with hours of 6 am to 12 a day, 3 to 5 in the afternoon, with the only working tools shovel and baiards lagoon.

Photography: Noe Macias

Excerpt from the blog  Encuentro Ciudadano  Lagunero, 3 June 2012

Last year Pedro Arrojo, professor at the University of Zaragoza, came to La Laguna for the second time. During his talk he confessed that, in his first time in our country, had asked the lagoons that give name. Great was his surprise to learn that we have been more than six decades lagoons orphans. It was then that he learned that up to half of the twentieth century here was great and unique wetlands. A Laguna region without lagoons. For millennia, from the last Ice Age, it was a desert periodically flooded by the two largest rivers in Mexico that never reach the sea: the Nazas and Aguanaval.


Zone of Silence

The Zone of Silence was documented for the first time in the 30’s by Francisco Sarabia, Mexican pilot who said his transmitter failed mysteriously while flying in the area. Since then, many people who have visited the area explained that the radio signals are broken into it, and leave compasses point to magnetic north. A logical explanation for this phenomenon could be the high concentration of iron from the constant fall of meteorites. Sometime in time, this large tract of land was under the waters of the Sea called Thetis, demonstrated by the presence of marine fossils in the area. The Zone of Silence there are endemic species as the desert tortoise and reptile unique in the world.

In the early 70’s when a rocket from NASA, the Athena, he lost control and went down in the region. Immediately a team of Americans to get the device to locate and hire some locals to help comb the area. Interestingly, despite all the resources used, including aircraft, research lasted for several weeks. Finally, locate the rocket, lay a short stretch of road from the station Carrillo, to remove the remains of the device and, in addition, in the event that were contaminated with radioactive waste, embarked several tons land area neighboring the site of impact. The operations were performed under a strong safety device, so that even the locals could see the remains of the rocket.

Soon came the version that just on the other side of the world, somewhere in Tibet and Nepal, was under the same area, so the area is regarded as a center where power was concentrated land .

Estado de Durango. Enciclopedia de los municipios.
Encuentro Ciudadano Lagunero
VII Photo Agency
Wikimedia Commons

Advertisements